Part Number: 3990
Weight: 177 lb
Share this page:
- Most powerful mini mill machine in its class
- Most low-speed torque in its class
- No gears in spindle drive
- Largest table and X-Y travel in its class
- R8 spindle and drill chuck
The LittleMachineShop.com HiTorque Mini Mill is the best in its class. It has the most power, most torque, and a larger table than other mills in its class.
This mill has a solid column. It does not tilt from side to side. This construction is significantly stiffer than the tilting column on other mini mills. This model also includes the air spring head support for even support through the Z-axis range of travel.
The 500 Watt brushless spindle drive motor provides tremendous low-end torque. And you can vary the speed from 100 rpm to 2500 rpm continuously. There are no gears to shift. And, with no gears, the HiTorque Mini Mill machine is the quietest in its class.
The large mill table provides 50% more table area than other mini mills. It also has 30% more travel in each direction. The resettable feed dials allow you to zero them at any point.
The HiTorque Mini Mill has drill press handles for drilling and fast motion of the mill's head. It also has Z-axis fine feed with 0.001" resolution for milling operations.
This machine is shipped completely assembled and adjusted. Machined surfaces are coated with a viscous oil to prevent rust. It wipes off easily with a rag; no solvents necessary.
*NOTE* We ship machines only to the US and Canada.
You can compare the specifications for our mills.Mini-Lathe.com has a review of our solid column mill.The solid column is much more rigid than the tilting column.
Some people may feel that the tilting column is a feature, but I have used a mini mill for 10 years and never tilted the column on purpose.
Let's compare the LittleMachineShop.com Solid Column HiTorque Mini Mill to mini mills with a tilting column.
The tilting column on other folk's mini mills tilts 45 degrees from side to side. This has several advantages. First, it is possible to make some angled cuts. It's also easy to tram in the X-axis. One user (and only one) has described to me a cut that was impossible to make any way but using a tilting column.
This mill has a solid column. While it is harder to tram in the X-axis because you must use shims, it is not as easy to knock it out of tram as the tilting column mini mill. The solid column has thicker walls than the tilting column, and a stiffer joint where it joins the base, so the column is significantly more rigid than the tilting column.
LittleMachineShop.com no longer sells mills with a tilting column. That is an indication of how much better the solid column is.Here are data sheets for the machines that we sell.Here's what you need to convert the HiTorque Mini Mill to CNC. (But be sure you look at the CNC milling machines that we sell before you start).Here are the user's guides for our machines.
- 500 Watt output spindle motor
- Large X-Y table
- R8 Spindle for wide tool availability
- Solid column that does not tilt
- NSK brand Japanese-quality spindle bearings
- Gas strut provides even support through the Z-axis range
- Dovetail column maintains head alignment at any height
- Fine feed on Z-axis for precise control
- Three radial handles for drilling
- E-stop safety power switch
- Adjustable Z-axis stop for repetitive drilling
- Neoprene bellows protect horizontal ways
- Adjustable gibs on all dovetail ways
- Includes R8 to 33JT drill chuck arbor and 1/2" drill chuck
|End Milling Capacity
||0.6" (16 mm)
|Face Milling Capacity
||1.2" (30 mm)
||0.5" (13 mm)
|| 18.1" x 4.7" (460 mm x 120 mm)
||3 slots 0.47" (12.0 mm) wide
||11.8" (300 mm)
||5.1" (130 mm)
||10.6" (270 mm)
||6.5" (165 mm)
|X- and Y-Axis Feed Screws
||0.062" (1.59 mm) per rotation
|Maximum Spindle to Table
||11.5" (292 mm)
||0.0004" (0.010 mm)
||0.67 hp (500 Watts)
||100 - 2500 RPM
||120 V 60 Hz 8 Amps
||124 lbs (56 kg)
|Base Dimensions (W x D)
|| 8.5" x 14.2" (216 mm x 362 mm)
|Mounting Holes Center to Center (W x D)
|| 7.09" x 11.81" (180.0 mm x 300.0 mm)
|Overall Dimensions (W x D x H)
|| 23.2" x 19.7" x 36.3" (590 mm x 500 mm x 922 mm)
||177 lbs (80 kg)
|Crate Dimensions (W x D x H)
|| 23.6" x 25.0" x 29.9" (600 mm x 635 mm x 760 mm)
||3990 HiTorque Mini Mill
||Solid Column Rigid Base
||Back View Solid Column Rigid Base
||The solid column on the left, tilting column on the right. The solid column has significantly thicker walls
The HiTorque Mini Mill comes with the following:
- Mini Mill Users Guide written by Chris Wood
- Two T-slot nuts
- Two end wrenches
- Four hex (Allen) wrenches
- One spanner wrench
- Oil can (plastic)
- One 1/2" drill chuck and R8 arbor
This product works with these LittleMachineShop.com products:
- 1676 Arbor, Drill Chuck R8 to 33JT
- 4239 Digital Position Readout, 3-Axis Magnetic Scale, DRO Pros Mill
- 1212 Drill Chuck, 1/2"
- 1660 Drill Chuck, 1/2" Keyless
- 3153 Drill Chuck, 1/2" Professional Grade
- 5629 Stand Cabinet, HiTorque Mini Mill
- 3818 Tachometer, Spindle, HiTorque Mills & Lathes
- 3489 Tooling Package, R8 Mini Mill
These machines ship by truck because they are simply too heavy and bulky for UPS Parcel Service. We normally ship truck orders a day or two after we receive the order. We add the following shipping cost to your order total:
||Other Continental US
|Delivery to commercial address
|Delivery to school or secured location
|Delivery to freight terminal
|Delivery to residential address (includes liftgate)
"Local" refers to the parts of Southern California served by Hollywood Delivery Service.
"Far West" refers to ten western states: CA, OR, WA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NM, CO, WY.
For delivery to Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico, we will check with several trucking companies to get the best price and then call for your approval before we ship.
We ship machines only to the US and Canada.
Truck Freight shipping to Canada involves 3 distinct charges in addition to the product costs. (All amounts are in US Dollars, see the current mid-market exchange rate.)
- Canadian Provincial Taxes (GST, PST, HST) depending on which province the shipment is going to. This will be 5% - 15% added to total sales amount depending on province (Canadian Sales Tax).
- Hemisphere Customs Brokerage which handles all customs clearance requirements. This is a flat fee of $108 on any shipment.
- Truck Freight from Southern California to destination in Canada. This is generally $300-$500 for residential liftgate delivery and appointment for single machine + tooling orders. Delivery to a terminal for pick-up or a commercial location with loading capabilities can reduce this cost substantially.
To get a quotation that includes the shipping costs, add the products you want to the shopping cart and continue the checkout process until you reach the Payment page. On the Payment page, select the Quotation option. We will add the shipping costs and return a complete quotation to you within one business day.
- The shipping charges shown above cover the cost of shipping the machine and anything else that you purchase with it, including a second (and third) machine, up to 700 pounds total.
- A "commercial address" has a company name, a public entrance and posted hours of operation. If you do not have a forklift or loading dock at your place of business, you must add the liftgate fee. If you are running a business at your residence without a public entrance and posted company name and hours of operation it is considered a residence and a not commercial address.
- Schools, colleges, universities, university hospitals, military bases, government facilities and other secured locations are charged a limited access fee that is included in the amounts in the chart above.
- If you choose Terminal Pickup, and there is not a terminal within 30 miles, we will confirm with you that you still want Terminal Pickup.
- Liftgate service is included in the residential delivery fee. The trucking company will call you to schedule the delivery.
We offer inside delivery which gets the machine inside one doorway or into your garage:
||Other Continental US
||Gets the machine inside 1 threshold
Includes liftgate service
Click here to see the tabs view of this page.